Passage of SB4 in the 2017 Texas Legislative session marks the culmination of years-long anti-immigrant political movement in the State of Texas. With most of SB4 allowed to go into effect by the courts, police cannot engage in immigration enforcement without resorting to racial profiling. Application of SB4 by law enforcement agencies in Texas puts the civil rights and community well being of Texans, particularly those living near the Texas-Mexico border, at risk. Under these circumstances, Texas communities must be organized to defend themselves from the anti-immigrant policing provisions of SB4 mitigating the impacts of implementation. We must also develop and advance a community-led advocacy agenda that commits local governments to protecting the civil rights of all persons and that pressures the Texas Legislature to repeal this destructive law.
Denounce racism and persecution of the immigrant community.
Provide tools of defense to immigrant communities.
Energize the Latino vote.
The TogetherJuntos Caravan is taking place in two segments: Border and Interior. The border leg of the Caravan will begin March 30 in El Paso and end in Houston on April 12, 2018.
At each stop, the TogetherJuntos Caravan will hear community concerns about immigration and border enforcement, Know Your Rights training, Abuse Documentation Training, and capacity building for community members.
Join the TogetherJuntos Caravan along the way as it makes stops in the following areas:
FRIDAY, MARCH 30, 2018
- 8am Launch Press Conference – Intersection of San Marcial and Paisano (Between Bowie HS and The Chamizal National Memorial Park)
- 10am – Community Presentation on SB4 – 12625 Alameda Ave., Clint TX 79836
- 12pm – Community Presentation on SB4 and DACA, Familias Triunfadoras #12500 Socorro Rd., San Elizario, TX 79849
- 2pm – Community Presentation on ICE Raids, Resinger Park, 301 Grece St. y Camp, Fabens, TX 79838
- 4pm – Community Presentation on SB4 and ICE Raids, Iglesia Montaña de Cristo 19100 Tornillo Ave., Tornillo, TX 79853
- 6pm – Community Presentation on SB4, Bautista Emanuel Church, 160 3rd. St., Ft Hancock, TX 79839
SATURDAY, MARCH 31, 2018
- 9am-12pm – Presentation on SB4, Community Listening Session, Blackwell School, 501 S. Abbot St., Marfa, TX 79843
- 2pm-5pm – Community Leadership Development Organizing Workshop, 513 O’Rielly St., Presidio, TX 79845
MONDAY, APRIL 2, 2018
- 11:00 am-2pm – La Loteria y Conoce tus Derechos – Casa de la Cultura, 302 Cantu St, Del Rio, TX 78840
- 4:30-6:30pm – Panel Discussion on SB4 – Casa de la Cultura, 302 Cantu St, Del Rio, TX 78840
TUESDAY, APRIL 3, 2018
Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 2055 Williams, Eagle Pass, TX 78852
- 9:30 am – Meeting County Judge, County Commissioners, Sheriff
- 11:00 am-3pm – Community Training on SB4, DACA, and Know Your Rights
- 7pm – BBQ with Community Leaders, TBD
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 4, 2018
- 12pm – Know Your Rights Presentation – Mexican Consulate, 1612 Farragut St, Laredo, TX 78040
- 3:30pm -Ceremonial Event in Recognition of the People of El Cenizo & Press Conference, TBD
- 4:30pm-6pm – Community Town Hall Forum (SB4, KYR, Consultation, DREAMERS), TBD
THURSDAY, APRIL 5, 2018
875 S. Sam Houston Blvd, Suite D, San Benito, TX 78586
- 10am – Meeting with Immigration Working Group, Equal Voice
- 1pm – Train the trainers for Know Your Rights
- 6pm – KYR Presentation for General Community
FRIDAY, APRIL 6, 2018
- 1:30pm-4pm – Train-the-Trainers – Know Your Rights in English
- 6:00pm-8pm – Know Your Rights in English for Community Members
APRIL 7, 2018
- 9:30am-1pm – Marcha de Cesar Chavez
SUNDAY, APRIL 8, 2018
RIO GRANDE CITY
San Pablo Apostol Catholic Church, 5547 US-83, Rio Grande City, TX 78582
- 11:30 AM – Mass and Blessing of the Caravan
- 2pm – Know Your Rights Training and Human Rights
MONDAY, APRIL 9, 2018
· 9am – Know Your Rights Training – Iglesia Presbiteriana San Pablo, 2604 Southmost Rd, Brownsville, TX 78521
- 1:30pm – Press Conference – Cameron County Courthouse, 974 e. Harrison St., Brownsville, TX 78520
TUESDAY, APRIL 10, 2018
- 10am – Meeting with Brooks County Sheriff
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 11, 2018
- 4pm – Dreaming of Justice TogetherJuntos Press Conference
- 6pm – KYR & Organizing Training
- 8:30pm – Dreaming of Justice Concert
THURSDAY, APRIL 12, 2018
- 6pm – Community Rally, Downtown Houston
The TogetherJuntos Caravan is convened by the Border Network for Human Rights in collaboration with the Reform Immigration for Texas Alliance, La Union del Pueblo Entero, South Texas Human Rights Center, Movimiento del Valle por los Derechos Humanos, Casa de Proyecto Libertad, Neta, and Americas Voice.